Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Blessings All Around



It is easy to see what is wrong with the world, but today I chose to focus on the joy and blessings.  There was a time when all I felt was angry and sadness over Aleks’ diagnosis.  I admit too that I recently felt that anger while watching my daughter struggle to find friends and fit in here in TN.  My heartache though has seen great moments of joy recently and I want to share them with you as a reminder that there is always hope.

One of the girls that my daughter has gotten to know from Girl Scouts has become a true friend.  This little girl is kind, loving and accepting of Aleks.  The other week when we had ‘flag duty’ at Aleks’ school, this little girl and her sister showed up to help.  It was incredibly cold that morning and very windy since Hurricane Sandy had hit the East Coast the day before.  Aleks and I were standing outside at the flag pole when this little girl and her family pulled up in their car.  The girl rolled down her window, yelled for Aleks and said please come and stay warm with us in the car.  Amazing act of kindness and love!  A simple gesture not only changed my daughter’s day, but changed mine as well. 

Today I am thankful for Aleks new friend.  I am thankful that Aleks can speak her mind, laugh with her friends and go to school every day.  I have a lot to be thankful for and I want to make sure and celebrate that.  Life after our move to TN hasn’t been easy, but God is providing and healing. 
Xo Melissa

1 comment:

Kati Benning said...

Melissa, I just heard you speaking on the radio and your blog touches my heart. Autism is not directly affect my family but moving to a different part of the country does. I grew up in New England and have lived in Alabama for nine years now and it has not been easy. I felt like I moved to a completely different country and my children have struggled also.
I just wanted you to know that you bless me and my family daily on the radio and I am praying for you and your family. God has an awesome plan for your little girl I can feel it.
Kati B